A friend of mine shared a Coach Krzyzewski (former basketball coach of Duke) video using the analogy of a fist 👊 to describe how to bring a team together.
As you know, sports mimics life and vice versa.
The success or failure of our business is based on the ability of our team to work together, and whether you’re players on a court or therapists in a clinic, the focus is the same…to achieve a common goal.
As an avid basketball player (still ballin’ 3x’s a week 🏀), I love these analogies.
Coach K describes how less effective and powerful an open hand is compared to a closed fist. He says that when all 5 people on a court do not work together, the entire team is weaker.
The biggest nugget I took away is his 5 values to developing a strong team.
Below are his 5 Values with some questions to think about.
5 Values According to Coach K
- Communication – look each other in the eye and tell each other the truth.Do you tell your employees the truth? Do you choose to have uncomfortable conversations or do you avoid them?
- Trust – I value your word and believe you when you say you will do something.Do you ‘do what you say’? Do you promise your staff something and follow through with it? If not, how do you think that affects their trust in you?
- Care – I got your back. Go for it. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes.Do you criticize employees for making mistakes? Do you encourage your staff to try things even if they may not work? Do they know you have their back regardless?
- Collective Responsibility – We win together and we lose together.When goals or metrics are not achieved, is there finger pointing amongst the team? If so, you no longer have a fist. Do you look to blame or do you take responsibility?
- Pride – being a part something bigger than ourselvesDo you have a culture of pride? Does your staff feel they’re a part of something truly special; something bigger than themselves?
In my life, I have learned as much from “outside” influencers, such as Coach K, than from industry experts.
This week, spend some time reviewing Coach K’s 5 Values and how your team culture compares. Choose one value to improve and begin to create a stronger company “fist”.
Are you ready for a coach? Join the hundreds of physical therapy owners who are building the practice of their dreams with the support, guidance and direction of a Practice Freedom U Coach. Take the first step towards creating a business that sets you free by scheduling a Discovery Call HERE